Knee replacement has become the choice of treatment for old aged people with knee problems during last few decades. Sometimes it is likely to happen that patient would choose knee replacement surgery though it’s not required. In that case, thorough counseling and education of patient regarding the surgery becomes necessary. It is not surprising that so many knee replacement institutes are lacking patient education program.
Here this blog will help you for decision making process of knee replacement surgery. Our operative surgeons, Dr. Rajiv Paradkar and Dr. Vrajesh Shah, have great experience of 15-20 years in joint replacement surgeries. Some firm statements regarding knee replacement operation decisions from the desk of VIROC doctors are as follows;
- Know the main cause of knee pain. Generally osteoarthritis of knee is the reason of knee pain in old age, but patient should be aware of disease’s stage. More often last stage of knee osteoarthritis requires knee replacement. If the underlying cause of knee pain is different then you need other interventions.
- Once cause is found then go for conservative treatment first. We start with some glucosamine medicines (for cartilage and joint lubrication) with low dosage of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to treat pain.
- Good amount of physiotherapy is the best part of conservative treatment. Proper exercises could diminish your knee pain by decreasing the swelling over knee. Along with the exercises, electrotherapy and hot water fomentation would give you the best outcome.
- Most important advice is the weight reduction. If patient is obese then losing weight would give him\her drastic relief.
- If above all treatment fails then we would suggest you to go for some alternative interventions i.e., Stem cell therapy, PRP injections and Ozone (O3) therapy. These are some types of treatment which are available at VIROC hospital.
- Many patients would be suggested for local steroidal injections and arthroscopic surgery. But we hardly recommend such alternatives which require more finances.
- At last, after all possible treatments only consider your pain factor. If your pain is worsening day by day and it affects your daily routine, also the X-rays suggestive of last stage osteoarthritis then go for the replacement surgery, regardless of the age factor (recommended age range is 60 and above).
India will emerge as the capital of Osteoarthritis by 2025 with more than 60 million to be likely affected. Thorough awareness and preventive steps towards fight against Osteoarthritic knee pain has now become mandatory.